Wheelock Chaps 16 to 20 key comments

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
wm33
Textkit Neophyte

Wheelock Chaps 16 to 20 key comments

Post by wm33 »

Salvete amici,

I have now completed Chaps 16 to 20 and would suggest the following possible changes to the key:

Chap 16
P&R
11 .....are not well the bad storm. CHANGE TO ...are not well in the bad storm?

Chap 17
P&R
1 ... which always nourishes us. CHANGE TO ...which always nourish us?

SA
7 ...a man who loves too much... CHANGE TO ...a man whom she loves too much...?

Chap 19
P&R
12 ...paraverat. CHANGE TO ...paraverant?

Chap 20
P&R
14 ...carent. CHANGE TO ...carebant?

SA
11 ...nor bows. CHANGE TO ...nor a bow.?

Thanks again for all the hard work put into this key. For independent learners like myself it is invaluable and to be able to develop the confidence to suggest minor improvements is a bonus. Having now completed Chaps 1 to 20 at a rate of about one per week, I am going to spend a few weeks consolidating the grammar and revisiting the vocabulary I have forgotten from the early chapters!!

valete amici,

wm33

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Wheelock Chaps 16 to 20 key comments

Post by benissimus »

wm33 wrote:Salvete amici,

I have now completed Chaps 16 to 20 and would suggest the following possible changes to the key:

Chap 16
P&R
11 .....are not well the bad storm. CHANGE TO ...are not well in the bad storm?
The most recent version of the key says "...on account of the bad storm". You may have an older version, or I neglected to change the formerly posted version. It seems to me this is an ablative of cause, though Wheelock has cruelly left that undiscussed.
Chap 17
P&R
1 ... which always nourishes us. CHANGE TO ...which always nourish us?
Ah, good eye.
SA
7 ...a man who loves too much... CHANGE TO ...a man whom she loves too much...?
Absolutely right...
Chap 19
P&R
12 ...paraverat. CHANGE TO ...paraverant?
Right again
Chap 20
P&R
14 ...carent. CHANGE TO ...carebant?
The key I am looking at has caruerunt. Carebant is a better choice though.
SA
11 ...nor bows. CHANGE TO ...nor a bow.?
Correct again

Thanks again for all the hard work put into this key. For independent learners like myself it is invaluable and to be able to develop the confidence to suggest minor improvements is a bonus. Having now completed Chaps 1 to 20 at a rate of about one per week, I am going to spend a few weeks consolidating the grammar and revisiting the vocabulary I have forgotten from the early chapters!!

valete amici,

wm33
I am just as appreciative to hear your feedback. You seem to be doing very well yourself, I hope you are enjoying it.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae