Wheelock Chaps 7 and 9 key comments

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
wm33
Textkit Neophyte

Wheelock Chaps 7 and 9 key comments

Post by wm33 »

Salvete amici,

I have just completed chaps 5 to 10 and would like to suggest the following for the key provided by Textkit.

Chap 7

In the Rape of Lucretia:

Would the translation be more accurately: .... Sextus raped Lucretia, the wife of Collatinus, and the good woman, because of great love of virtue, killed herself. The ancient Romans used to always praise the virtue and courage of Lucretia and blame the Tarquins.

Chap 9:

Add the translation of the Seneca passage, which might possibly go thus:

If you wish to devote yourself to philosophy and the mind, this devotion cannot be strong without frugality. This frugality is voluntary poverty. So do away with your excuses: "I do not yet have enough money. If I ever have that sufficiency of money, I will then dedicate myself totally to philosophy." Begin now to devote yourself to philosophy and not to money.

Lautiores flavas nigris anteponunt.

wm33

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Thanks for the contribution wm33. I went through these passages very hastily and so I'm not surprised I made a couple little mistakes. I am embarrassed that I left out an entire story though! Your corrections are prudent and they will be added to the key.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae