38 Latin Stories 27 Help Please!

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.

Did I do well?

Yes.
No votes
No.
No votes
Totally failed.
No votes
Sort of.
No votes
You really should do better than this for your 6th year of Latin
No votes
You did great!
No votes

Total votes: 0

johnny862
Textkit Neophyte

38 Latin Stories 27 Help Please!

Post by johnny862 »

I really need help with 38 Latin Stories chapter 27.

Here is my attempted translation first...as I know I must post it before anyone can help me.

O miserable old man, not to have seen in such long life that death is to be despised! Death however plainly it is disgarded, Which manifestly ought to be regarded with indifference if it really puts an end to the soul, or to be even desired if at length it leads the soul where it will be immortal? Why then should I fear if after death I shall be either not very unhappy, or even very happy? But, it is said, the young man hopes to live long, while the old man can have no such hope. The hope, at any rate, is unwise; for what is more foolish than to take things uncertain for certain, false for true? The old man, who has absolutely nothing to hope for, is more blessed than the young man, because what the former (youth) hopes for the old man has already. The former wishes to live long; the latter has lived long.

Yet, you good gods, what is there in man's life that is "long"? For even if anybody lived for a very long time (I see it on record that a certain Arganthonius lived to the age of a hundred and twenty), to me no life seems long that has any end. Hours, indeed, and days, and months, and years, glide by, nor does the past ever return, nor yet can it be known what is to come. Because time is given to us, we must be happy and content with it.

PLEASE help me. :oops: