Loci Antiqui 12 and 13

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
anon.edward.mouse
Textkit Neophyte

Loci Antiqui 12 and 13

Post by anon.edward.mouse »

Hello, all! I love the forum. Been lurking for a while, but I've finally come to a rather difficult little bit in Loci Antiqui (It's been a crazy 9 months, but I've managed to get all the way through Wheelock's Chapters. Yey!)

Both of these passages are rather short, so I'll just reproduce them in full along with my attempts. I've emboldened the parts that I've found most difficult. I tend to leave my own English translations a little stilted and Latinized. I know Wheelock advises against it, but I like hearing the language so translated. Hemmingway does the same thing with Spanish in For Whom the Bell Tolls, and it really changed how I looked at language.

Number 12:
Hoc omne tempus inter tabellas ac libellos iucundissima quiete consumpsi. "Queadmodum," inquis, "in urbe ptuisti?" Circenses erant quo genere spectaculi ne levissime quidem teneor. Nihil novum, nihil varium, nihil quod semel spectavisse non sufficiat. Quare miror tot milia viroum tam periliter identidem cupere currentes equos videre. Vale.
My attempt:

I fill up this every time between writing pads and even most agreeable books with quiet. "How," you say, "can you (manage such a thing/ do that) in the city?" Games were in that class of spectacle that not even I was lightly restrained (from). Let it not be sufficient to have seen nothing new, nothing varying, nothing which for a single time (has already been seen). Therefore, I marvel at the many millions of men that desire so childishly, repeatedly, to see the running horses. Be well.

Number 13: (Context doesn't seem as necessary)
...Atque ego, qui nondum liberos haveo, pro re publica nostra quasi pro parente nostra quasi pro parente tertiam partem eius pecuniae dabo quam conferre vobis placebit. Hiil enim melius praestare liberis vestris , nihil gratius parriae potestis.
My attempt:

And so I, who has not yet any children, will give teh third part of his wealth for our republic as it were for the parent whom will please you all to bring together (in a school). Truly nothing better than to stand before your children, nothing more pleasing that you all can do for your country.

Eternal thanks to you all! :-)