Translation question from Ch. 39

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
maximus1212
Textkit Neophyte

Translation question from Ch. 39

Post by maximus1212 »

My question centers around Sententie Antīquae #9:

"Trānsitus ad senectūtem nōs āvocat ā rēbus gerendīs et corpus facit īnfīrmius."

I translated it as:

"The passing over into old age diverts us from conducting business and it makes the body weaker."

I feel alright about the translation, but...if it is correct, why is "corpus" in the nominative case when it is actually the object of "facit"?

Thanks to anyone who can shed a bit of light on this...

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Translation question from Ch. 39

Post by thesaurus »

maximus1212 wrote: I feel alright about the translation, but...if it is correct, why is "corpus" in the nominative case when it is actually the object of "facit"?
Notice that "corpus" is actually a neuter, third declension noun. Thus, although it ends in "us," it is declined "corpus, corporis" etc. As with all neuters, the nominative and accusative forms are the same.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

maximus1212
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Translation question from Ch. 39

Post by maximus1212 »

Thanks for catching that. A truly "bonehead" miss on my part!