Beginner question: Conservate me ; servate me

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Cleo
Textkit Neophyte

Beginner question: Conservate me ; servate me

Post by Cleo »

Warning, this is a beginner question...

Chapter 1, Sententiae 7, Conservate me!
The answer key published here says protect me.
Yet, in the optional exercices, #20 is also Conservate me, with the answer in Wheelock as save me.

Another example is Apollo me saepe servat, translated here as Appollo often saves me.

So what would be the difference between conservate me, and servate me? I assume it's some sort of nuance that I am not catching. From my first reading of the chapter, I understood "servare" as protect, and "conservare" as save, but first readings are often wrong. I am now looking for guidance.

Oh, and Happy New year! Bonne année.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

they are relatively interchangeable (and as far as wheelock is concerned, they are completely interchangeable). the difference appears to be slight, so I guess it would depend on context. According to my dictionary, servo seems to have an added meaning of "look after", in addition to "saving" and such.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Cleo
Textkit Neophyte

that bugs me...

Post by Cleo »

Thanks for answering this quickly!

It bugs me that they are interchangeable. One would be "look after me before I am in actual trouble", and the other ought to be "take care of me now because I am in trouble now!!"

Anyway, it may be my 21st century mind that doesnt grasp the concept. Or maybe context is needed. Sentences rarely stand alone.

Thanks.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

The con verbal prefix is very often intensive, for example: facere - to make, do. conficere (con+facere) - to accomplish, complete, finish.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

As Episcopus said, the con- prefix intensifies the verb. So, Wheelock has supplied the word "protect" as a more intensive choice for "save", but as long as you understand that one is a bit more emphatic than the other, you can translate with whatever meaning you wish.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae