Page 43, Ex99 II 2.

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Torluath
Textkit Neophyte

Page 43, Ex99 II 2.

Post by Torluath »

The exercise asks for the following to be translated from English to Latin:

"My son Sextus is carrying his booty to the Roman camp."

My try was:

"Sextus filius meus ad castram Romanam praedam suam portat."

The answer key says:

"Filius meus Sextus praedam suam in castra Romana portat."

What's the difference between in/ad here? I thought "ad" would give the sense of going toward, while "in" would be more along the lines of going through the door, or already being inside.

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos »

'ad'+acc denotes movement toward something, but not into it.

'in'+acc denotes movement toward and into something.

'in'+abl denotes standing still or movement inside something, and is as such irrelevant here.

The most important thing to take note of, in this sentence, is that 'castra' in the answer key is in fact in the accusative case. 'castra' is one of the words that only appear in the plural, and is neuter plural of a hypothetical *castrum, -i - instead, you will find it in your dictionary under castra, -orum.
'ad castram', therefore, is incorrect.

Torluath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Torluath »

Many thanks. So "ad castra" would be ok, but would suggest our booty-carrying Sextus isn't going to enter the camp?

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos »

Exactly.

With 'ad', it could also imply that he is walking around beneath he walls, such as when Caesar writes 'castra ad murum posui' - I placed the fortress against the wall, or near the wall.