Ex 99 Question

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Bretonus
Textkit Neophyte

Ex 99 Question

Post by Bretonus »

Salvete!

I was reviewing older material and I came across a problem for part II of exercise 99, question 2.

"My son Sextus is carrying his booty to the Roman camp." It says not to use dative.

I came up with "Filius meus Sextus praedam suam ad castram Romanam portat." I felt weird using the accusative for Roman camp but I know I've seen that use somewhere in D'Ooge already.

The key gave me the following answer when I checked it.

Filius meus Sextus praedam suam in castra Romana portat.

I know this use of the ablative is wrong, because in means in/on.

Are either of these answers right?

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos »

Castra is always neuter plural, which is why the accusative after in is castra.

nom castra
acc castra
gen castrorum
dat castris
abl castris

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

"In", as well as a few other prepositions, can be used both with accusative and ablative. With ablative, it means "inside, in" something. With accusative, it means roughly "to the inside, to inside".

In castra means "into the camp"

Bretonus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bretonus »

Thanks for correcting my clumsy mistake. Would ad fit in this in the place of in?

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

I suppose it would. However, "ad" usually carries the conotation of "to the limits of" or "to the outside of". A typical explanation is that "Ad Romam" means "to the walls/gates [limits] of Rome" whereas "In Romam" means "into the city". Also to note that in+acc can also mean "against" with a strong opposition or an attack, eg "in Catilinam", "in hostes".

"ad castra" would thus have that conotation, not that bringing the booty inside, but rather carrying carrying it to the limits. So you could, but the solution given seems to me more appropriate.

In any case, if someone more knowledgeable would shed more light on the subject, I think it would be helpful.

lgsoltek
Textkit Neophyte

Post by lgsoltek »

Well, I had just now the same question, but now I found this post and it's clear now. Thank you all for answering this question, and also Bretonus for asking this question~ ;-)