wanted to join the new study group

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
emerson
Textkit Neophyte

wanted to join the new study group

Post by emerson »

Salvete,
just found this forum this morning. ( mountain time)

wanted to join the study group for Latin for beginners by D'Ooge, but according to TextKit it is full.

i printed out the time schedule and plan to follow along. will use this forum to ask questions if and when I get stuck.

if anyone drops out or if there is any new openings please let me know.

thanks eme

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

If you are talking about the group D'Ooge-A, I think the schedule you have may be for 2006 (it started about this time last year). I saw some posts that they were looking for new members, but I think they are pretty far along in the book right now. Maybe a group B could form.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

emerson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by emerson »

I think it is session D that I am refering too. It starts January 2007 and it is full.
thanks for the reply

emerson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by emerson »

LOL went back to take another look. It is a greek study group that is starting this month. didnt see the title for the greek study so I thought it was a continuation of the Latin study. Oh well too bad. :cry:

Andrus
Textkit Member

Post by Andrus »

Hi Emerson,

We would love to have more active members in the D’Ooge study group, but as Edonnelly has point it out we are much advanced. We have finished the lesson XXXVI this week.

Although the optimal study speed would depend on a lot of things (free time, natural skills, and so on), in my opinion the one lesson per week that we are doing in the study group is a little too slow (but even that has proved to be too much to must initial members). In my opinion, more then the number of lessons you should (if possible) try to spend an hour per day studying the lessons without doing more then one lesson per day. I found that was, for me, the best method while I was studying alone. That way I retained most of the vocabulary in my memory and the concepts of the lessons could be learned without great troubles.

Of course this in my personal opinion.

Best of luck for your Latin studies.

Andre

emerson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by emerson »

Andre,
I am already on lesson three. I am a very discipline student, and have already dedicated 1 1/2 hours for M-F.
I teach an after school latin program for elementary students, so the motivation is there to complete this course.
I agree with keeping up with the vocabulary. So far I know a little over 300 words. After I am through with D'ooge I plan to write up a program for my 4th graders soon to be 5th graders.
So far the only thing I teach my students is vocabulary and English deritives from Latin. I would like to introduce grammar both Latin and English but I want my students to get their English grammar down first before I introduce them to Latin grammar.
One thing I have notice; English gammar in American public schools is not very strong. That's another evening's worth of converstaion. All the more reason I want to teach Latin.
If you dont mind I would like to post any questions I have about D'ooge here on the forum.
One last question: How do you pronouce D'ooge?
Thanks for your time. Eme

Andrus
Textkit Member

Post by Andrus »

Hi Emerson,

“If you dont mind I would like to post any questions I have about D'ooge here on the forum.?

Please do! These forums and the study group are almost totally independent and these forums exist exactly for that. Many people that come to TextKit had studied the D’Ooge book alone and asked every question they had here. Many of them know much more Latin then me and will gladly answer you any question you ask. I’m sorry if my poor English gave you the idea that I would have any authority over this forum or any reservation that you would post here. In fact I’m a simple member of this great site, just like you.
My post was only about entering the existing study group, over which I don’t have also any authority, since we are far ahead.

“One last question: How do you pronouce D'ooge??

Since I’m Portuguese and my English is very far to be perfect I’m probably not the best person to answer, but I pronounce it as Doge, like the Italian “Doge? of Venice. On other hand I also don’t know Italian so I can’t be sure.

Best regards,

Andrus
(Forgot in my last post that this is my username here)

tjnor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by tjnor »

Andrus,

I think you are right, it is probably "doge." I have often wondered, however, if it might not have been "dodge" like the truck.

Since B.L. was an inhabitant of my old state of Michigan, I'd like to think he pronounced it that way.

Tim