Ex 62 P. 26 Part II

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
julianarana
Textkit Neophyte

Ex 62 P. 26 Part II

Post by julianarana »

Hi,
I have a question concerning the Part II of the Ex. 62.
The question that i´m concerned with is the number 5 that I copy here:

(His) daughter is getting (parat) a good dinner for the farmer.

The correct answer, according to the key, is (i'm omiting all the long syllabes indicators.) :

Filia agricolae bonam cenam parat.

However, this translation doesn't make a clair difference about the person for whom the dinner is. It looks more like:

the farmer´s daughter is getting a good dinner.

But is impossible to know if the dinner is for the farmer or for any other person...

I'd like to know if I'm wrong with my interpretation and I'll be grateful for your help.

Aquilianus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Ex 62 P. 26 Part II

Post by Aquilianus »

julianarana wrote:Hi,
I have a question concerning the Part II of the Ex. 62.
The question that i´m concerned with is the number 5 that I copy here:

(His) daughter is getting (parat) a good dinner for the farmer.

The correct answer, according to the key, is (i'm omiting all the long syllabes indicators.) :

Filia agricolae bonam cenam parat.

However, this translation doesn't make a clair difference about the person for whom the dinner is. It looks more like:

the farmer´s daughter is getting a good dinner.

But is impossible to know if the dinner is for the farmer or for any other person...

I'd like to know if I'm wrong with my interpretation and I'll be grateful for your help.
I think your right. "Agricolae" can express "for farmer" or "farmer's".
But if you wanna write "(His) daughter is getting (parat) a good dinner for the farmer." , you can write "Filia bonam cenam (propter) agricolam parat" or "Filia agricolae bonam cenam agricolae/patri parat.". There is a lot of ways to expres what you want.