Caesarian

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Pip
Textkit Neophyte

Caesarian

Post by Pip »

Hello everybody,

I just joined this site yesterday and I was reading through the D'Ooge Latin for beginners book and I was just wondering what is meant by Caesarian words. In the preface page 'vi' they mention 95% of the words chosen are Caesarian. Can anyone explain. Thanks for the help :P

-Pip-

viking84
Textkit Neophyte

Post by viking84 »

I think he means the words spoken and written by Caesar, but I'm not sure :) (I'm also using D'Ooge :)).

Pip
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pip »

oh ok sweet thanks for the help :D

viking84
Textkit Neophyte

Post by viking84 »

Pip wrote:oh ok sweet thanks for the help :D
yes, I read that Caesar himself wrote many books and the words D'Ooge uses stem from these books :). It isn't so important, better focus on the actual grammar ;).

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

The D'Ooge text is designed to prepare the student to read Caesar (a common goal of many introductory texts). By saying that 95% of the words are Caesarian, he's telling you that the vocabulary he teaches is highly relevant to the text for which you are being prepared, and thus it is worth your effort to actually learn that vocabulary.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library