Quia/Quod

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Derada
Textkit Neophyte

Quia/Quod

Post by Derada »

What's the difference in usage between quia and quod? I have seen both used similarly.

Deccius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Deccius »

This topic has been brought in the Latin Forum before (viewtopic.php?t=245). There really isn't any discernable difference between the two. Although quia might be less ambiguous, since quod is a form of the relative pronoun.

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

Quod is extremely ambiguous. Here are (some) of its possible meanings:

1) because (subordinating conjunction) - quod ueniet, laetus sum (I'm glad because he will come)
2) which? (interrogative adjective) - quod ad flumen proficiscetur? (which river will he set out for?
3) which, that (relative pronoun) bellum quod hodie nuntiatum est ferox iniustumque est! (the war that was announced today is vicious and unjust!)
4) the fact that (subordinating conjunction) - et imperatori id placuit, quod uictoria inter manus posita erat - and the fact that victory had been placed between his hands pleased the general

-David

Also, from Virgil's 3rd Eclogue: nihil est quod laudes (there is no reason such that it gives you reason to praise) from quid laudas? (why are you praising)

jjhayes84
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jjhayes84 »

In my first Latin class I remember a student asking our instructor something like, "How do you know the meaning of 'quod' when you first come across it in a sentence." Humorously, his response was, "Well...you kind of just have to use the Force."

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

iocosissima est tua fabula!

-David

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Quomodo "Use the Force" dicitur Latine?

Post by rustymason »

jjhayes84 wrote:In my first Latin class I remember a student asking our instructor something like, "How do you know the meaning of 'quod' when you first come across it in a sentence." Humorously, his response was, "Well...you kind of just have to use the Force."
Cachinno!

Quomodo dicitur Latine, "Use the Force"? Maybe, "Vim adhibe"? But that doesn't sound quite right for "THE Force, it just seems like "Use force" in the generic sense. Maybe, "Magnam Vim adhibe"?