D'Ooge on Project Gutenberg

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

D'Ooge on Project Gutenberg

Post by Carola »

Those of you who use D'Ooge may be interested to see that Project Gutenberg has posted an HTML version - it also has links to the vocab section and may be useful for leaving on your laptop as it is a bit "skinnier" than the PDF.

Link is http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/18251

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Ah, wonderful. I saw that they had had it for several years (they used Jeff's scans), and I was afraid they had forgotten about it.

I also understood that they were doing this as a sort of test (with Jeff's approval) and that if it worked well they were going to tackle some of the other books here at textkit. I wonder what the verdict will be.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

That would be wonderful if they could have both the PDF and HTML versions. The PDF is much better for printing, but not so good for on-screen viewing. HTML has the advantage of hyperlinks to various sections, plus you can even edit and add in your own notes (learning HTML should take about 10 minutes for the average Greek or Latin student, after Greek verbs any of this stuff seems simple).
There is a site called Blackmask http://www.blackmask.com which does several formats: HTML, Palm, MSreader.
I wish there were more sites offering these old textbooks - why don't more of the universities do this and use the download site to advertise themselves as well? That would be a great way to market directly to those people who are really interested - have, say, the Philosophy dept giving information on their courses along with downloads of Plato or Aristotle and some information on the significance of these writers.

camomiletea
Textkit Neophyte

Post by camomiletea »

Learning Latin is my dream, and I decided to try again, now that I've found this book. :D

I volunteer at Distributed Proofreaders (although, I had nothing to do with this particular project).
That would be wonderful if they could have both the PDF and HTML versions.
That is actually possible, and some people do produce PDF versions in addition to other formats. I don't think there are many of them, though, and to me it seems complicated... It involves working on TEI (Text Encoding Initiative -- special XML-based markup), and when you are done, apparently, you can generate plain text, HTML and PDF from this one file in TEI. In principle, it sounds great! In practice, some people have said that currently the HTML versions generated from TEI weren't up to our standards.

PDFs can also have hyperlinks to sections... I've seen a math textbook in PDF with links, produced by one volunteer. But I have no experience in this area. I just do HTML and plain text.

minus273
Textkit Neophyte

Post by minus273 »

won't plain SGML or LaTeX do?

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Carola,

Thanks for pointing this out, I was wondering about this one. Yeah, we donated D'Ooge and Book XXII of the Odyssey by Minckwitz years ago to the DP group - a very neat project. XXII of the Odyssey is still missing in action and last I heard they were struggling with it. I DO need to check up on that one.

I'm going to grab the D'Ooge version and make the digital PDF available here.

Jeff
Textkit Founder

Timotheus
Textkit Member

thanks

Post by Timotheus »

this is much better to use than the PDF.

I thought the PDF was great because of the ability to book mark and It was saving me much ink and paper. (I had been printing, punching, and binding all the books I downloaded).

now the HTML is much better :D :D :D

However my love of books is still there. Nicely set upon the shelf, they are an artistic display. to have ease upon the eyes when reading at even' in any location. the ability of reading in bed without having the notebook get hot (even though this can be nice on a cold night). I still love the printed word.

but for study, HTML works!