Simbols

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Iamblichus from Chalcis
Textkit Neophyte

Simbols

Post by Iamblichus from Chalcis »

"Ä”, ÄŸ, Ä’"

These simbols below the letters are present in Latim leanguage or are just to turn the study of pronunciation easier?

Esses símbolos em cima das letras fazem parte do latim ou só existem em livros didáticos para facilitar o aprendizado da pronúncia

PS.: I would like to know if I can post my questions in Portuguese leanguage. I can see a lot of students from Portugal and I think that could be healpfull for me.

Andrus
Textkit Member

Post by Andrus »

Saluē Iambliche,

There is some debate on the Latin Forum about the use of “Macrons? or not. They are used above all to help the pronunciation, since they don’t appear in Classic Latin or even in Medieval Latin (to the best of my knowledge).

For myself I consider to know if a vowel is long or not part of learning Latin and so when I write in Latin I use the “Macrons? to indicate long vowels, but this is my personal choice.

About the use of Portuguese I don’t have any problem since, as you know, I’m Portuguese. But I think that you normally should write the posts in English unless it is a question where you need to have a Portuguese-Latin reference, like pronunciation or verb moods and times. At least it is my interpretation of the accepted behavior in these forums. Maybe a Moderator would inform us better.

Best regards,

Andrus