learning Latin

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
John L
Textkit Neophyte

learning Latin

Post by John L »

Is there a good course that teaches Latin as well as how Mounce teaches beginners Greek? Such as an easy to learn book with a CD.

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

John L wrote:Is there a good course that teaches Latin as well as how Mounce teaches beginners Greek? Such as an easy to learn book with a CD.
I don't know exactly how to answer this. Those here who are learning Greek and know Latin might be able to compare and contrast how Mounce teaches basic Greek with the various Latin texts here like D'Ooge or Collar and Danielle.

Are you trying to learn enough Latin to read the Bible? Or are you looking for a course that has an audio companion CD/cassette?

I don't know of a directed course to learn Latin for the Bible but there may be one. In general, I'd say that the beginner texts would get you to the point where you can read well enough. I'm doing the D'Ooge book now so I can't say for sure that the Collar and Danillle book has the same result but it most likely does. Some of the more knowledgeable people here might be able to comment on how advanced the level of Latin in the Bible is though.

As for CD's etc. I think there have been some people who have the VIVE VOCE (I think that is what it is called) and similar tools and find them useful but a bit costly. I don't know of an inexpensive audio course though. The ones I've seen are more for simple pronunciation and are good for that.

If you are doing self study then I'd say the texts here are what you want. I'd estimate that an hour or so a day will get you through it in about six months. Long before that you will be able to read enough Latin to understand parts of the Bible though.

- Tim

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

You might like Latina Christiana if your interest is in Church Latin:
https://blitz.goldrush.com/chcweb/shopcart/html/Lc1.htm
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Re: Timothy's point - the D'Ooge book will help you read latin but don't expect miracles. Even the Bible which is relatively 'easy' compared to Tacitus or whatnot you will not be able to read all of it unless you are willing to look up very many words in the dictionary. Remember D'Ooge will only give you a basic vocabulary of 600, and words from the reading matter are another 700, and it's doubtful that you'd remember them all (I certainly did not, ones that I do not use). So parts of the bible as in "X amicus X genitive erat" you will understand but for most parts more words are required. But if you really want to read the Bible you can, it will just be a lot of new words :)