BSD § 47 p. 21 Ex II.4

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
paulus
Textkit Neophyte

BSD § 47 p. 21 Ex II.4

Post by paulus »

I translated "The farmer gives her daughter water" to "Agricola filiae agricolae aquam dat" but the key presents "Agricola filiae aquam dat", that I would translate back "The farmer gives water to the daughter", not stating whose daughter would receive water.

Anyone can explain why my answer (an odd one, indeed) is not the correct one, and why the correct one is correct?

Thank you very much.

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Hi, Latin tends not to use possessives unless it is necessary - in this case, there was no-one else's daughter around, so we assume it was the farmer's. It's just one of those things.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

* * *Post postemptively deleted.* * *
Last edited by Eureka on Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barrius
Textkit Member

Re: BSD § 47 p. 21 Ex II.4

Post by Barrius »

paulus wrote:Anyone can explain why my answer (an odd one, indeed) is not the correct one, and why the correct one is correct?
BLD cites it as “The farmer gives his (§22.a) daughter water.” Or alternately to make the the indirect object (dative) more apparent, “The farmer gives water to his daughter.”

The note at §22.a states “The sentences above show that Lain does not express some words which are necessary in English. First of all, Latin has no article the or a; thus agricola may mean the farmer, a farmer, or simply farmer. Then too, the personal pronouns I, you, he, she, etc.; and the possessive pronouns my, your, his, her, etc., are not expressed if the meaning of the sentence is clear without them.”

Next take our English phrase “The farmer gives water to his daughter” and covert the structure into Latin order: "The farmer to his daughter water gives."

Thus the Latin would be derived as follows:
“The farmer” (nominative singular) = Agricola
“to his daughter” (dative singular) = filiae
“water” (accusitive singular) = aquam
“gives” (3rd person singular transitive verb agreeing in case and number with “Agricola”) = dat.

I hope I haven't confused you ;o)