Exercise 237 part II

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Radek
Textkit Neophyte

Exercise 237 part II

Post by Radek »

2. He was hastening to your dwelling with your mother and sister.
In key there is: Ad aedificium vestrum cum matre et sorore tua properabat.

Why: tua
Why not pluralis: tuis
Mother et soror sunt due pesonae.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Well...assuming you're talking to 1 person the form will be tuus, a , um. I don't know why that vestrum is there unless in appropriate context.

I'd say something like "Ad aedificium tuum cum matre sororeque tuis properabat/maturabat."

Indeed! "cum matre et sorore tua" would most likely mean with his (own) mother and your sister! Not a very nice pair!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Exercise 237 part II

Post by benissimus »

Radek wrote:2. He was hastening to your dwelling with your mother and sister.
In key there is: Ad aedificium vestrum cum matre et sorore tua properabat.

Why: tua
Mother et soror sunt due pesonae.
I think this should be considered an error in the answer key. While it is technically correct, I can't think of any situation where it would make sense. It should be vestrum or tua but not both.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

I've corrected the key into aedificium tuum.
As to the tua/tuis, see A&G 286: with two or more nouns the adjective is regularly plural, but often agrees with the nearest.
So you can use both tua and tuis, but tuis is more common. I will put that as first option in the answer key.

Ingrid

PS: I also changed ex. 245. It will be some time before the new version of the answer key is posted though. I'm still interested in answers, especially for the latin-english exercises.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Exercise 237 part II

Post by Skylax »

Radek wrote: Why: tua
Mother et soror sunt duae personae.
Indeed, but Latin has got his own habits. Following ERNOUT, Syntaxe latine, in the literary language, an attribute adjective never agrees with two substantives. For example : cum vitam tuam et studia considero "your life and your studies" (Cicero), Tota Asia Graeciaque "Whole Asia and whole Greece" (Cicero)...

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

cum vitam tuam et studia considero

I know this can be right, but I have seen this vitam et studia tua, the tua being plural neuter.

A&G as ingrid said says that either may be used...