Exercise 107 Part II Question 2

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
jsc01
Textkit Neophyte

Exercise 107 Part II Question 2

Post by jsc01 »

I have a question on #2.

English: "Sextus, the lieutenant, and (his) son Mark are fighting with the Germans".

My translation: Sextus legatus et suus filius, Marcus, cum Germanis pugnant.

The key's translation: Sextus legatus et filius Marcus cum Germanis pugnant.

Why is there no need for suus (his) in the translation?

Radek
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Radek »

I think if we don`t write suus we don`t know "cuius" filius Marcus erat.
Mayby someone else.
I think in this sentence should be suus

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

I think D'Ooge put the 'his' in brackets to indicate that you didn't have to translate it. You only translate personal pronouns when the meaning isn't clear without them. In this case, as no one else is mentioned, you can safely assume the son is Sextus'.

Hope this helps

Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

No. The "suus" should not be there. Not only is it placed first and thus with great emphasis (...et filius suus Marcus wouldn't have been as inappropriate) but "filius", son, is in such close relation and nominative subject connected by conjunction "et", that the "suus", his (own) is understood. i.e. it does not need to be expressed.

It's like "mother and I went to town" - you don't really need to clarify that it was your mother, for you are so closely related. Of whom else is mother going to be? The same with filius.

However if you were to say Sextus legatus et filius eius, with "eius" meaning his or of him, it would mean Sextus the lieutenant and (some other guy's) son, not "his own" which is suus, a , um - the possessive reflexive.

This is quite important - Latin is very different in that certain things are understood (not expressed) because they may be understood without being expressed. Indeed, if you are ever marked on a prose composition, less idiomatic unnecessary "suus" 's and many other understood elements which you shall encounter depending on the situation of course, are very much frowned upon - as clumsy latin.

Good luck with your D'Ooge course.

jsc01
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jsc01 »

I think I understand.

Thank you Episcopus.