Verbs drills

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
fishermoon
Textkit Neophyte

Verbs drills

Post by fishermoon »

Salvete,

I'm having a little trouble trying to organise verbs in to a format i can effectively drill on. I've been trying - although this might not be the best way - to group the verbs in their respective conjugations with all 4 principal parts and english meaning all laid out. PDF page 101 has it laid out in this manner but with only a few verbs and the thought of manually typing up and doing it myself seems daunting.

Has anyone done this or something similiar or is there perhaps a better way of organising and memorizing specifically verbs?

Regards,

Dan

convector
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Verbs drills

Post by convector »

Hi Dan,

A few years ago I made a verb drill with the verbs from D'Ooge using Excel. You can use it like flash cards by hiding the Latin and then typing in the answers. You then reveal the Latin to check your answer. I found it a good way to learn the four principal parts of the verbs.

It has the verbs in the order in which they appear in the book. You can also limit the range of verbs you want to drill on. I could send you a copy in an attachment if you want to send me your email address.

Convector

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

convector wrote:Hi Dan,

A few years ago I made a verb drill with the verbs from D'Ooge using Excel. You can use it like flash cards by hiding the Latin and then typing in the answers. You then reveal the Latin to check your answer. I found it a good way to learn the four principal parts of the verbs.

It has the verbs in the order in which they appear in the book. You can also limit the range of verbs you want to drill on. I could send you a copy in an attachment if you want to send me your email address.

Convector
You're saying to just use the Hide/Unhide feature of Excel? That's not a bad idea. Definitely doable.

What do you do with principle parts?

(By the way, what was this about "all 4 principle parts" in the OP? There are six principle parts in addition to the present, not four.)

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

jaihare wrote:There are six principle parts in addition to the present, not four.)
In Latin?
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Lex wrote:
jaihare wrote:There are six principle parts in addition to the present, not four.)
In Latin?
Didn't notice we were in the Latin section. (I open threads up from the "view new posts" link.) That the poster was talking about Greek. It rang very strange in my ears... for principle parts! :oops:

beerclark
Textkit Neophyte

Post by beerclark »

At the risk of getting too elaborate with an excel sheet:

You could not only hide a column but also have another column that can tell you if you are correct or not. You would need to put in an "IF" function. For example you could have something like this:

Column 1 - "Necare"
Column 2 - "to kill" (You would hide this column)
Column 3 - Blank (For typing in the answer)
Column 4 - "Correct" or "Incorrect". You would use the IF function to have the column tell you which it is!

I might try this myself to learn Cuius, Cui, Quid, etc. I can't seem to remember any of those. They all read the same to me!
Last edited by beerclark on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

angelace
Textkit Neophyte

Post by angelace »

Thanks for the tip. This will be like having my own set of flash cards on my lap top- Angela