D'Ooge's Latin For Beginners Key

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
georgetown09
Textkit Neophyte

Re: D'Ooge's Latin For Beginners Key

Post by georgetown09 »

That was really nice of all you guys who took time to create the beginners key. We really appreciate that. Thanks

Leni
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Leni »

Hi everyone,
Before I subscribe to the newsletter too I wanted to know if any of you could give me a short review about this Key?
I'm a latin beginner and I'm really excited to learn this language, but I'm not quite sure how. I really try to find a good way.

JBowyer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JBowyer »

I've just started trying to learn Latin (as will become obvious) and I wonder if could ask a question about the key? Exercise 78 page 34 gives for question 3 'Ancilla equo aquam et frumentum dat.' Isn't frumentum in the accusative in this sentence and shouldn't it therefore be frumenti?
Thanks
John

WongHongyi
Textkit Neophyte

Post by WongHongyi »

Hello! I am currently doing the exercises and I found an error. The answer for Section 34, P 17, Qn 7, part 3 should be “girls, acc, pl”. The answer in the key is “daughters, acc, pl”. The question was “puellas”.

slaomo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by slaomo »

Huge, huge thank you to everyone involved in making this happen. It's been invaluable to me! :D

fitzaudoen
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fitzaudoen »

Is there anyway an unlocked version of this could be make available? The security on that PDF is pretty tight...

I'm messing around with the idea of making a web app version of the exercises with ruby on rails... I've wrote scripts to extract all the questions and special vocab from the html version of the book that is on gutenberg.

My original plan was to just do the translations myself over time (chapter or two a week or something)... but it would be really nice not to have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for any considerations.

paulus
Textkit Neophyte

Exercise $22.6

Post by paulus »

Sentence: "Rosam in comis habet".
Key: "in comis habet, predicate".
I think it should read: "rosam in comis habet, predicate".

This is a very little detail, but I am trying to put the book as well as the key in epub format, and at the same time I am learning Latin. I would like to make it perfect, but as far as I have a low level knowledge, I fear to introduce errors of my own.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I think you're right.

It seems to be case of verb, plus object, plus adjunct predicate like

She met him in the park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predicate_(grammar)

daboensis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by daboensis »

I wonder how bad or inappropriate idea it'd be to turn the current answer key PDF into a Wikibook? On the one hand doing so would direct traffic away from the Textkit site, but on the other hand it'd make it much easier for people to contribute.

Typing the answer key into the Wiki format wouldn't take me much time, but I'd rather not upset anyone by doing so.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

The content of Textkit is released according to Creative Common 3.0 license. Follow the guidelines (Attribution, ShareAlike) and you'll do fine.
daboensis wrote:I wonder how bad or inappropriate idea it'd be to turn the current answer key PDF into a Wikibook? On the one hand doing so would direct traffic away from the Textkit site, but on the other hand it'd make it much easier for people to contribute.

Typing the answer key into the Wiki format wouldn't take me much time, but I'd rather not upset anyone by doing so.

daboensis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by daboensis »

Verba causidicorum mihi clara non esse, timeo. Hopefully I haven't upset anyone. If I have done so by failing to produce the correct copyright legalese or give credit where credit is due, please amend/correct the wikibook below. The book can be deleted too, if necessary, by sending a request to the Wikibooks administrators.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/An_Answer ... %80%99Ooge

There are a few answers still missing from the opus itself, because, well, putting in wiki markup along the copying and pasting turned out to take more time than I expected. Obviously anyone reading this is able to contribute copying & pasting (the necessary markup is already in place under every subheading).

yutna
Textkit Neophyte

Post by yutna »

I think the answer to question 4 on page 35 is incorrect. It translates cena grata domino bono as dinners pleasing to the good lord. Cena is a first declension nominative singular and I think the key has mistaken it for a second declension nominative plural.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

yutna wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:14 pm I think the answer to question 4 on page 35 is incorrect. It translates cena grata domino bono as dinners pleasing to the good lord. Cena is a first declension nominative singular and I think the key has mistaken it for a second declension nominative plural.
Fixed.

yutna
Textkit Neophyte

Post by yutna »

I think I've got another one. The key translates "male fili" in question 3, page 38 as "O bad sons" but the -e ending is only used for the singular vocative.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

yutna wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:03 pm I think I've got another one. The key translates "male fili" in question 3, page 38 as "O bad sons" but the -e ending is only used for the singular vocative.
It looks OK to me:

3. Male serve, O clarum oppidum, male fili, filii mali, fili mali.
3. O bad servant, o famous town, o bad son, (o) bad sons, of the bad son.

yutna
Textkit Neophyte

Post by yutna »

Apologies, I completely missed that bit in the translation.

yutna
Textkit Neophyte

Post by yutna »

For question II-2, page 43 the "in" should be "ad", no?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

yutna wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:40 pm For question II-2, page 43 the "in" should be "ad", no?
My son Sextus is carrying his booty to the Roman camp.

I'd say that both are acceptable: ad means that he is carrying it all the way to the camp, but he may leave it outside, in that is taking it inside the camp.