Random D'Ooge

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
pster
Textkit Zealot

Random D'Ooge

Post by pster »

I am starting Latin for the second or third time. I did sorta know it for a year in college (M&F then). Anyway, as I posted elsewhere, I am using a Cicero interlinear and table of paradigms to structure my studies, but as a reference I have switched to D'Ooge. I was using Wheelock, but I found a $5 copy of the D'Ooge and like some of the features such as the summary of syntax (very nice!). Anyway, I was wondering whether D'Ooge is suitable to use as a grammar? Can I just drop in and do one of the hundred odd lessons if I feel I should practice something, OR is the book in some way cumulative that would make random servings less than optimal? Also, I like the fact that Wheelock has excerpts from the greats. D'Ooge doesn't seem to. Am I right about that, or have I missed something? Also, lastly, it seems you guys have all kinds of D'Ooge supplemental materials. Is there a list of links somewhere to what is available to supplement D'Ooge? And what kind of name is that? D'Ooge?

Thanks

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Re: Random D'Ooge

Post by rustymason »

I suppose you could do the lessons randomly, but the vocabulary and topics are cumulative, so it might be kinda difficult. For a refresher "grammar" though, it's pretty good.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Random D'Ooge

Post by ingrid70 »

pster wrote: And what kind of name is that? D'Ooge?

Thanks
Just for fun: D'Ooge is originally a Dutch name, from the south-east of the Netherlands (province of Zeeland), roughly translatable as 'the eye', or rather 'Th'Eye'. I have been googling around for my family-tree, and have discovered that I have a D'Ooge as forbear.

Ingrid