Textkit Logo

Patristic and Dogmatic Greek

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!

Patristic and Dogmatic Greek

Postby petka » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:43 pm

Dear all Byzantinists, to show that in this field language , grammars and lexica are not helping always, i am trying to get help.

Hope you really cope with Patristic and dogmatic text. For I have an inquiry seriously difficult from the point of view of dogmatics. I encountered a Greek text in st. John of Damascus Peri tou Trisagiou Hymnou. It is just the second paragraph in the Modern Greek edition, Apanta erga tou, It deals about the relationship between the names and things in as much as they befit their nature (see the old question of platonic cratylism unsolved by the way) in st. John with a much closer influence of st. Maximus' logoi. After a quote of Genesis that one who speaks about the names given by Adam, he says literally> Oromen oun onomata hwrizonta eidos ex eidous kai onomata epitithemena chwrizonta upostasin ex upostasews. (I have no time to pick up the greek letters from this keyboard of which I am not used, sorry about that. I hope you really could take a look of the greek text in TLG) The modern greek translation sounds good but tells nothing in the context. It says So, we see names who distinguish a genre of another genre and names imposed to distinguish a nature of another nature. It is ok in the context of the naming of Adam. But the phrase in context was important and meant to underline anything else and to anticipate a demonstration and a further logical approach applied to the name of God. because the text does not at all continue with this type of distinctions , but it continues to show that the Trisagion Hymn was clearly a "description" of God exactly as a name was. And he distinguishes two parts of the Hymn Holy Holy Holy, which, says he, is a name designating nature by the use of the singular, because "holy" is a name common to all three hypostaseis of the Trinity and by its repetition of three times, as in an arithmiki ekphantorias which corresponds to the ex eidous, that is, external manifestation, it describes the three hypostaseis ex eidous, according to manifestation. and the rest of the Hymn Kyrios Sabaoth, by the fact that it unifies the three into one, is a hint to the oness&unicity of the divine nature marked well by the unique and singular kyrios, another common name. So the second part of the hymn is in this sense a "description" upostasin ex upostasews. according to nature. I hope you will give me an answer. with possibly a proper English translation of the little phrase together with the first phrase of the second paragraph. Thanks Whoever can provide any ideas is welcome to write me.

Return to The Academy