Textkit Logo

forum name

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!

forum name

Postby vir litterarum » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:11 am

Just a quick question. By naming this forum "the Academy," isn't this website asserting that we are all Platonists just like calling it the Stoa would assert that we are Stoics? Shouldn't we use an appellation that is philosophically neutral?
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:38 am

The meaning of a word is determined by its use more so than by etymology.
Most people would not think of the original meaning of academe when they hear the word "academy."
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby vir litterarum » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:59 am

But in classical times Platonists were commonly merely called Academics. I have no problem with it being used more indiscriminately in common usage, but in a classical website we should always take etymology and classical usage into account.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Postby Chris Weimer » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:45 am

What would you suggest?
Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby vir litterarum » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:13 pm

The forum is intended to cover both philosophy and rhetoric, so I do not believe it should have any appellation exclusive to either. All of the other forum names are merely descriptive in nature, so why not just call it "Philosophy and Rhetoric"?
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Re: forum name

Postby edonnelly » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:23 pm

vir litterarum wrote:Just a quick question. By naming this forum "the Academy," isn't this website asserting that we are all Platonists just like calling it the Stoa would assert that we are Stoics? Shouldn't we use an appellation that is philosophically neutral?

And to boot, why do we even a textkit "forum?" That certainly implies to me that we are all Romans and that we are physically gathering in a particular location. I know other websites tend to use the more modern definition, but I think we should rename it "Online message place," or something else more civilizationally- and mediumally-neutral.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library
edonnelly
Textkit Zealot

Postby vir litterarum » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:07 am

so the only "forum" was in Rome? If you look carefully, you can see that the word is "forum," not "Forum." In addition, "forum" has no philosophical or rhetorical implications whatsoever.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Postby edonnelly » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:32 am

vir litterarum wrote:If you look carefully, you can see that the word is "forum," not "Forum."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the use of capital letters to designate a proper noun is not "classical usage" (which, apparently, we are bound to), but developed much later.

vir litterarum wrote:so the only "forum" was in Rome?

No, but I would submit that in "classical usage" the term implies a physical meeting place, generally of the sort used by the Roman people. Certainly, in classical usage, it never meant an online presence where people leave electronic messages for others.

vir litterarum wrote:In addition, "forum" has no philosophical or rhetorical implications whatsoever.

My issue, as I said, is that it has civilization and medium implications.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library
edonnelly
Textkit Zealot

Re: forum name

Postby Bert » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:49 am

edonnelly wrote:
And to boot, why do we even a textkit "forum?" That certainly implies to me that we are all Romans and that we are physically gathering in a particular location. I know other websites tend to use the more modern definition, but I think we should rename it "Online message place," or something else more civilizationally -and mediumally-neutral.
:D

Online message place. Hmm.. Neutral...Sterile...I like it.
civilizationally -and mediumally-
Love those words. Especially 'mediumally' should catch on.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby vir litterarum » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:17 am

capitalization did not exist, but specific forums were always designated by an adjective, e.g. Forum Romanum. The usage of "forum" is only a natural development of the word. Are you saying we should not use the term "chat room" because technically there is no room involved and that people from Victorian England would disagree with using the word in this way? My disagreement is with the philosophical bias of the name "Academy," which, unlike "forum," was never originally used a common noun but always in reference to a particular philosophical sect. Furthermore, how do you think Plato would feel about the subject of rhetoric being grouped under the name of his garden?
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:14 am

vir litterarum wrote: Are you saying we should not use the term "chat room" because technically there is no room involved and that people from Victorian England would disagree with using the word in this way?
I think you are missing his point completely.
At first I thought you were making a light hearted comment and didn't realize you felt this strongly about it. In addition to studying classics the members here live in the modern world as well. "Outside Links of Interest", the "Open Board" and "The Academy" are boards members use for interests in addition to the Classics. Calling the board "Philosophy and Rhetoric" is fine with me but I don't find it necessarily an improvement.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby vir litterarum » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:03 pm

Why is "Philosophy and Rhetoric" not an improvement?
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Postby Arvid » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:38 pm

How about "The Seven Liberal Arts?" Seriously, though, I guess I can't be a Peripatetic because I'm sitting down?
phpbb
Arvid
Textkit Member

Postby thesaurus » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:41 pm

I think "the Academy" is supposed to be the corollary of "the Agora." As for stylistic choices, it's more evocative to choose a place name than just a content description. "Philosophy and Rhetoric" would be accurate, but it's more fun to pretend we're debating in the Academy.

I'd suggest "The Soap Box," but that seems to imply rants more than reasoned discussions.

Finally, I'd like to see more rhetoric around here... just for fun.
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Return to The Academy