Ebola+quarantine (Ancient Greek)

Enter the Agora to try to communicate with others in Latin and Ancient Greek.
daivid
Administrator

Ebola+quarantine (Ancient Greek)

Post by daivid »

τὸ χρῆσθαί τοῖς θεραπεύουσι νοστοῦσιν ἐκ μαχῆς ἀντὶ Εβολας ἐν Λιβύῃ ὡς κακουργοῖς ἐστί αἰσχρόν. οἱ πλήν ὑπὲρ καιρόν θερμασίας οὑ εστι κίνδυνος.
νομίζω τοὺς ῥήτορας τοὺς τοὺς θεραπεύουντας κατακλείοντας μάτην ἄνευ τιμῆς εἶναι.
λονδον

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ebola+quarantine (Ancient Greek)

Post by Markos »

σύμφημι δή. κατά με, δεῖ θέασθαι καὶ θεραπεύειν τοὺς εισερχομένους ἐκ West Africa, ἀλλὰ μὴ κατακλείειν αὐτοὺς μήδε ἀπομονοοῦσθαι.

προσεύχομαι ὑπὲρ τῶν ἐκ τοῦ Εβολα πασχόντων
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

y11971alex
Textkit Member

Post by y11971alex »

τῷ Δαίυιδί (σύνγνωθί με) οὐ πασί φημι. ἄλογον τὸ τοὺς βλαψανένους ταῖς Ἔβωλσιν (οὐ ἔγνων πῶς τὸ ἔπος λέγω) ἐκβαλεῖν ἐκ αὐτῶν χωρῶν, ἀλλὰ εἴη ἄριστα τῇ χώρᾳ τε καὶ τῷ δήμῳ.
University of Toronto: learning Attic Greek

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

y11971alex wrote:τῷ Δαίυιδί (σύνγνωθί με) οὐ πασί φημι. ἄλογον τὸ τοὺς βλαψανένους ταῖς Ἔβωλσιν (οὐ ἔγνων πῶς τὸ ἔπος λέγω) ἐκβαλεῖν ἐκ αὐτῶν χωρῶν, ἀλλὰ εἴη ἄριστα τῇ χώρᾳ τε καὶ τῷ δήμῳ.
ἔτι οὐ οἰὸς τ' ειμι συνιέναι,
βλαψανένους ->βαψαμένους?
σύνγνωθί->σύγγνωθι?

Edit
This as close as I can get:
To Daivid ( agree with me!) not to all I say. the irrational the throwing out of the ones being hurt by the Ebola (not knowing how the word I speak) of land itself but it should be the best to the land and to the people.
λονδον

y11971alex
Textkit Member

Post by y11971alex »

daivid wrote:
y11971alex wrote:τῷ Δαίυιδί (σύνγνωθί με) οὐ πασί φημι. ἄλογον τὸ τοὺς βλαψανένους ταῖς Ἔβωλσιν (οὐ ἔγνων πῶς τὸ ἔπος λέγω) ἐκβαλεῖν ἐκ αὐτῶν χωρῶν, ἀλλὰ εἴη ἄριστα τῇ χώρᾳ τε καὶ τῷ δήμῳ.
ἔτι οὐ οἰὸς τ' ειμι συνιέναι,
βλαψανένους ->βαψαμένους?
σύνγνωθί->σύγγνωθι?

Edit
This as close as I can get:
To Daivid ( agree with me!) not to all I say. the irrational the throwing out of the ones being hurt by the Ebola (not knowing how the word I speak) of land itself but it should be the best to the land and to the people.
I'm sorry for this awful Greek. I only used a dictionary and picked out words that represented what I thought, never meaning for the sentence to be comprehended as it ought to be in English. Words like Ebola don't appear in dictionaries, I'm afraid.

I meant to say, "With David (pardon me) I can't completely agree. It is senseless to throw out those being hurt by Ebola (not knowing how this word is declined) from their land , but it might be the best for the land itself and her people".

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

y11971alex wrote: I'm sorry for this awful Greek. I only used a dictionary and picked out words that represented what I thought, never meaning for the sentence to be comprehended as it ought to be in English. Words like Ebola don't appear in dictionaries, I'm afraid.

I meant to say, "With David (pardon me) I can't completely agree. It is senseless to throw out those being hurt by Ebola (not knowing how this word is declined) from their land , but it might be the best for the land itself and her people".
I suspect it the problem is more likely to be my limited abilities in reading Greek rather than any mistake of yours. And I didn't have any problem because even though Ebola isn't an Ancient Greek word you helpfully put the definite article in front which made the case clear.
(Now I understand I intend to reply but as that will be in Greek, it may be a little while before I do)
λονδον

y11971alex
Textkit Member

Post by y11971alex »

daivid wrote:
y11971alex wrote: I'm sorry for this awful Greek. I only used a dictionary and picked out words that represented what I thought, never meaning for the sentence to be comprehended as it ought to be in English. Words like Ebola don't appear in dictionaries, I'm afraid.

I suspect it the problem is more likely to be my limited abilities in reading Greek rather than any mistake of yours. And I didn't have any problem because even though Ebola isn't an Ancient Greek word you helpfully put the definite article in front which made the case clear.
(Now I understand I intend to reply but as that will be in Greek, it may be a little while before I do)
Not at all. I am not yet at a level to be reading most continuous prose passages, so my Greek quite possibly resembles nothing with which you are familiar. The catch was probably how I declined "Ebola", which I took as a third declension noun Ἔβωλς, Ἔβωλος, ἡ (cf. ἅλς, ἁλός). Perhaps a first declension rendering would have been more helpful, but somehow I had the idea that nouns are more likely to be third declension than anything else. :3

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

χρὴ μηδεμίαν ὤρην ἔχειν ἐπεί ἰατρόι ἐπανέρχονται ἐκ τῆς ἑσπερίης Λιβύης εἰ πλήν ὑπὲρ καιρόν θερμασίας εἰσίν.
(δῆτα, Μαρκε, δεῖ θέασθαι οἱ ἰατροί)
νῦν πολλαπλασιος κατάκεινται ᾗ τοῦ μέλανος ποταμοῦ νόσῳ ἐν τᾷ τοῦ ὄρους τοῦ τῆς λεαίνης χώρᾳ ἤ προτέρῃ.
οὐκ ἱκανῶν ἰατρῶν ὄντων χρη παρακαλεῖ ἄλλους. οὐκ ἐστὶ φρόνιμος οὖν ποιεῖν τοὺς αὐτῶν καθόδους χαλεπούς.
λονδον

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Θεὸς ἐβόλα ἐκβάλοι! :x

y11971alex
Textkit Member

Post by y11971alex »

Markos wrote:Θεὸς ἐβόλα ἐκβάλοι! :x
ναὶ τὸν Ζῆν᾽, ἀλλὰ τί γιγνώσκει εἰ ταῦτα τοῖς θεοῖς ἡμῖν πέπεμπται; :?

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

y11971alex wrote:
ἐβόλα ἐκ βολὰς τοῦ Διαβόλου. ὁ δὲ Διάβολός ἐστιν ὁ θεὸς τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου (2 Κορ. 4:4) :(

y11971alex
Textkit Member

Post by y11971alex »

Markos wrote:
y11971alex wrote:
ἐβόλα ἐκ βολὰς τοῦ Διαβόλου. ὁ δὲ Διάβολός ἐστιν ὁ θεὸς τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου (2 Κορ. 4:4) :(
ὁ ἱατρὸς ὠφελείτω τινὰ σώματι• ὁ δαίμων τούτου ψυχῇ.