Colloquendi formulae: Tabula duodecima

Enter the Agora to try to communicate with others in Latin and Ancient Greek.
Franmorar
Textkit Member

Colloquendi formulae: Tabula duodecima

Post by Franmorar »

TABULA DUODECIMA
ΠΙΝΑΞ Ο ΔΩΔΕΚΑΤΟΣ

Feasts, banquets, meals. De conviviis seu epulis. Περὶ τῶν συμποσίων καὶ τῶν ἐστιάσεων.

Have you had your meal (lunch)? —No. Not yet. Prandistine? — Minime (nequaquam). Nondum. Ἆρ’ ἠρίστησας; —Οὐδαμῶς (οὔτοι). Οὔπω (οὐδέπω).

Since when haven’t you had some food? Quam pridem (quam dudum) non edisti? Ἐκ πόσου χρόνου οὐκ ἔφαγες;

I have promised Francis to go and have a meal at his house. Francisco cenam condixi. Francisco ad cenam promisi. Τῷ Φραγκίσκῳ δεῖπνον ἐπήγγειλα. Εἰς δεῖπνόν με Φραγκίσκος ἔκλησε.

I’ll have my supper, then I’ll go to bed. Cenabo, post demum ibo cubitum. Δειπνήσω, καὶ τελευταῖον εἰς κλίνην ἐλεύσομαι.

He left without having his breakfast. Impransus abiit. Ἀνάριστος ἀπῆλθε.

He went to bed without having his supper. Incenatus decubuit. Ἄδειπνος κατεκλίθη.

To give someone something to eat, to feed somebody, to accept somebody at one’s table. Aliquem in prandio accipere. Aliquem prandio (mensae) adhibere. Ἑστιᾶν τινα. Ἀναλαμβάνειν ἑστιάσει.

To ask somebody to have a meal. Aliquem invitare (vocare) ad cenam. Καλεῖν (προσκαλεῖν) τινα ἐπὶ δεῖπνον.

To prepare a meal, a feast, a banquet. Prandium curare (apparare). Epulas (convivium) instituere (parare). Ἀριστοποιεῖν. Τὰ βρώματα παρασκευάζειν (ἑτοιμάζειν). Εὐπρεπίζειν θοίνην.

After having lunch, after breakfast. A prandio, a jentaculo. Ἀπ’ ἀρίστου, ἀπ’ ἀκράτου.

To rush to get at the soup. Irruere (invadere) in offam. Εἰσβάλλειν εἰς τὸν ζωμόν.

To eat some mutton, beef, pork, veal, lamb (meat). Ovillam (bubulam, suillam, vitulinam, agninam) edere (carnem). Ἐσθίειν τοῦ οἰείου (βοείου, χοιρείου, μοσχείου, ἀρνείου) κρέως.

You make me feel hungry again with that meals. His cibis renovas mihi integram famem. Ἐκείνοις σου σίτοις πᾶσαν τὴν ὄρεξιν ἀναλαμβάνω.

To eat a partridge. Perdice vesci. Σιτεῖσθαι πέρδικα.

To satisfy hunger. Famem replere. Τὸν λιμὸν ἐμπιμπλάναι.

To eat bread with something else. Adhibere aliquid ad panem. Adjicere aliquid pani. Τῷ ἄρτῳ (πρὸς τὸν ἄρτον) τι προστιθέναι.

What kind of bread will you have? Qualem vultis panem? Cujusmodi panem vultis? Ποῖον (ὁποῖον) θέλετε ἄρτον;

Make sure they prepare something to eat for me. Vide mihi prandium. Προόρα μοι τοῦ δείπνου.

To quench thirst. Explere (extinguere, sedare, levare) sitim. Τὴν δίψαν κατασβεννύναι (ἀποσβεννύναι).

This provokes thirst. Hoc sitim accendit. Τοῦτο διψοποιεῖ.

To give someone something (some wine) to drink. Potum alicui miscere (administrare). Vinum infundere. Πότον τινὶ προσφέρεσθαι (κεραννύναι). Πίνειν ἐγχεῖν.

He drinks little (wine). Exiguo utitur potu. Abstemius est. Ὀλιγοποτεῖ. Ἄοινός ἐστι.

To drink wine without mixing (diluting) it with water. Meracius vinum sumere (adhibere). Ἀκρατοτέρως οἶνον πίνειν.

To drink (quite) watery, dilute wine. Dilutius potare. Ὑδαρεστέρως πίνειν.

To drink to somebody, to drink a toast to somebody. Propinare salutem alicui. Προπίνειν τινί.
Hominibus totam versandam constat esse bibliothecam, ut solam utilem scribere sententiam possint.